Friday, March 29, 2013

Good Friday thoughts

I thought I would take a few minutes at lunch today to write-

As I woke this morning and had my usual Friday meeting with my friend and retired priest Nick this morning we mused over the meaning of Good Friday in the world today.  I couldn't help but think about all of the controversy that is running through our country right now, gun control, immigration, same sex marriage, etc....   A few years ago there was a fad that started called WWJD or What Would Jesus Do.  I can only image the parables coming from Jesus when asked about weapons and the right to defend yourself.

I grew up owning a Remington 20 gauge shotgun that my father allowed me to buy as a teenager.  We went pheasant hunting in South Dakota and deer hunting in Northern WI.  I grew up going to the Winchester shooting range and learning to shoot trap and clay pigeons.  My father owned a pistol and did target practice.  Recently we had to remove the guns from my father who is suffering from Alzheimers and insisted on keeping them loaded and nearby as he became more afraid of the unfamiliar world around him.  I found an interesting statistic yesterday.  More people die from guns in the home and suicide than of gun street violence.  Sadly there are a large number of teens who don't understand that emotional pain can be temporary turn to suicide or violence using guns.  As I watched some of the people propounding the use of guns to defend their families and property I wondered  What Would Jesus Do?

In the immigration arguments about those people who came here illegally I wondered if my Irish ancestors (Cochran) came off the boat legally?  Those people who have migrated for thousands of years to strange lands to find work or opportunity or a better life.  Many of whom were my ancestors.  Those strangers on the road who were passed by in the parable of the good samaritan.  (Samaritan's were immigrants too.)  What would Jesus have said to those strangers in a strange land?

Marriage described by one theologian is the process of two rough rocks rubbing against each other until they become smooth.  After 30 years of marriage I would bet that my wife would say I'm still pretty rough around the edges.  Relationships are hard work and you have to be willing to allow yourself to be hurt sometimes because we certainly hurt those we love more often than not when we try to make them conform to our needs.   My first love was a beautiful young woman  in high school that was trying to understand her own sexuality.  When she bravely told me about her confused feelings I was at a loss.  But as I spent an afternoon riding around in a city bus confused and hurt.  I turned to a man who was my Sunday school teacher who I ran into by accident while wandering around that day.  I do think God was guiding my footsteps.  He confided in me that afternoon that his daughter was gay.  I talked with him and I understood that if I really loved this girl I had to allow her to be who she was and that meant allowing her to love someone else.  I do think that afternoon Jesus was talking to me through that teacher.

On this Good Friday afternoon it seems right to take a moment and reflect on What Would Jesus Do?  I don't consider myself as a religious person.  I'm not really all that devout.  But I'm grateful for at least one day a year when the calendar calls out to me to reflect on the small trials that I face in life and how I respond to those in need and those who I have judged worthy or not.